Sunday, May 2, 2010

What Love Has Taught Me....

Firstly, I'd like to say a hearty congratulations to my boyfriend for graduating college. He's such a fantastic guy, and he deserves the best. We've been dating for almost two years now, and I couldn't be happier. He has helped me to grow as a person and has taught me valuable life lessons. I've learned a lot about myself and about love through him. It's amazing, really, the kinds of things you sacrifice when you love somebody. I'm undoubtedly grateful for him, and I will continue to be. He's off to Europe for six weeks for his graduation present from his parents, so I will have to cope with not being able to see him. It will be hard, but I know I can do it.


WHAT LOVE HAS TAUGHT ME

  • Be yourself: Why? Because if you're "fake", and put on a different personality to attract the "popular" kids, or just because you want to be popular yourself, you will wind up with somebody who has nothing in common with you. If you're going to potentially wind up spending the rest of your life with someone, why should you be polar opposites?
  • Honesty is key: As depicted in last Monday's episode of "House", a relationship cannot go anywhere without complete and total honesty. Lies can lead to serious relationship problems, and can ruin it entirely.
  • Put him before yourself: love, true, selfless love, is self-sacrificing. Normally, I am like Dr. Gregory House - an egotistical, self-absorbed S.O.B., however when I'm with my significant other, I completely do a 180. I become completely selfless, ready to serve and please at the drop of a hat. His happiness comes before mine, as it always overjoys me to see him smile. And, I'm sure he appreciates all I do for him.
  • Your lover should also be your best friend: Well, in my case, he is. We get along as if we were siblings or were best friends since grade school. I feel as if I have known him for my entire life because we have (almost) everything in common.
I'd like to say thank you to my amazing beau for putting up with me, as he is a non-autistic. I'm sure he would like to give me a row sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment